For several years, Circuit Attorney Jennifer M. Joyce and her team of attorneys have spread the word about the important role citizens play in keeping their neighborhoods safe. Members of the Circuit Attorney’s Office participate in more than 250 community meetings each year, partnering with residents who believe the city is a wonderful place worth protecting.
To recognize the many courageous neighbors, the Circuit Attorney's Office will honor residents for their efforts to make St. Louis a safe place to live, work and play during the second annual Seasonal Celebration on Dec. 4.
The Seasonal Celebration will begin at 6 p.m. in Division 17 of the Carnahan Courthouse, located at 1114 Market Street, St. Louis, MO 63101. Circuit Attorney Jennifer M. Joyce, as well as St. Louis Circuit Court Judge Jack Garvey and Treasurer Tishaura Jones, will be speaking at the celebration.
During the celebration, five honors will be awarded to individuals residing in St. Louis. The awards are:
· Block Building – Recognizes an individual’s efforts to unify neighbors and strengthen their blocks.
· Citizens on Patrol – Awarded to an individual who patrols the streets in order to identify quality of life issues and areas for safety improvements.
· Court Advocacy – Acknowledges the outstanding efforts of one individual who has worked to ensure their neighborhood is represented in court.
· Victim Support – Recognizes efforts of a specially-trained individual who has helped support crime victims in their neighborhood.
· Overall – Awarded to an individual who has made an outstanding effort to incorporate the Neighborhood Ownership Model into their neighborhood.
The Circuit Attorney's Office received 128 nominations for people living in 32 different neighborhoods. Rachel Smith, the community affairs bureau chief prosecutor, said, "There are many people who volunteer their time to improve the lives of their neighbors. This is a wonderful opportunity for the criminal justice system to recognize and thank them for partnering with us to combat crime."
About the Circuit Attorney's Office
The Circuit Attorney's Office represents the people of the State of Missouri as their chief prosecutor for state-level crimes in the city of St. Louis. The CAO employs over 60 attorneys, 20 investigators, 10 victim services case managers and over 30 support staff. Each year, the CAO reviews over 15,000 cases and prosecutes approximately 3,000 felonies and 3,000 to 7,000 misdemeanors.